The Golem,
Guardian of Prague

The most popular of all Jewish legends is that of the Golem, a kind of artificial man or anthropoid, shaped from clay by Rabbi Loew and brought to life when a strip of paper bearing the name of Jehovah was placed in its mouth. The Golem performed all manner of tasks and was famed for extraordinary strength. One Saturday, when the weekly Jewish rest began, the rabbi forgot to remove the slip of paper with the magic name, and the anthropoid became a blind, destructive force.

The Golem won worldwide fame through the novel of the same name by Gustav Meyrink, the German writer who lived in Prague for many years. In that fantastic novel, published during the First World War, the Golem represents the materialization of something mysterious and ominous, a premonition of the madness of the twentieth century in which the devastating fury of two world wars was unleashed.

During the First World War, the myth of the Golem became an obsession for German artists. In 1914, filmmaker Paul Wegener shot a film evoking Prague's mysterious atmosphere and played the role of the Golem himself.

In 1920, the filmmaker shot a new version of the Golem. These silent films, together with two versions of The Student of Prague, inspired by the legend of Doctor Faust's stay in Prague, played an important role in the evolution of expressionism.

The legend of the Golem is so evocative that, at the beginning of the twentieth century, the Jewish writer and reporter Egon Ervin Kisch climbed to the attic of the Old-New Synagogue to search for the remains of the artificial man. He found only dust and old clutter.

The reporter also dug on the so-called Hill of the Gallows in Prague's Zizkov district, since, according to the legends of Eastern European Jews, the Golem's remains had been buried there. Once again, Egon Ervin Kisch found nothing.

At the end of the twentieth century, the myth of the Golem seemed more alive, and more sobering, than ever. In it we see the universal and eternal symbol of human inquiry and creation, to which man gives his soul and which threatens the destruction of the species itself.

The White Lady

The town of Jindrichuv Hradec, in South Bohemia, is the birthplace of the most famous ghost of the Czech lands: the White Lady. The illustrious ghost used to make her appearances in the large gothic kitchen, built by the lord Menhart in the first half of the 15th century, which was the primitive defense tower of the Jindrichuv Hradec Castle, in South Bohemia.

In this kitchen there were two ovens, two grills small and one large, since the owners of the castle used to offer sumptuous banquets and once a year even prepared food for five thousand diners.

Mrs. Perchta - that was the name of the woman who became the White Lady - married the elderly John of Lichtenstejn at the age of twenty. She married at her father's insistence, dazzled by the groom's wealth. Life beside that stingy and disagreeable husband soon became unbearable, and Mrs. Perchta fled to the mansion of her former admirer, Count Sternberk. When the old husband learned what had happened, he flew into a rage, but that fury cost him his life when he was struck down by an apoplectic attack.

Upon receiving news of her husband's death, Mrs. Perchta was overcome by guilt. She sought refuge at her relatives' estate in Jindrichuv Hradec and tried to ease that guilt through good works. The distressed lady introduced the custom of serving sweet porridge to the homeless and, even after her death, once transformed into a ghost, the White Lady made sure this tradition endured.

The porridge was distributed on Holy Thursday, when hundreds of people gathered at Jindrichuv Hradec Castle. One day, after Mrs. Perchta's death, the poor found the gates closed, because the new owner had decided to end the porridge distribution to save money. The White Lady's ghost roamed the castle, so it did not take her long to realize that this unworthy descendant had stopped honoring the tradition she had established.

During her lifetime she introduced the custom of offering sweet porridge to the poor, and even after her death, already turned into a ghost, the White Lady ensured that this tradition was maintained. However, the new owner of the castle decided to suppress the distribution of porridge to save money.

When she realized this, the White Lady stormed, furious, into the kitchen, hurling cauldrons, crockery and whatever household objects lay within her reach onto the floor. The maids fled in terror. On returning from the hunt, the castle's owner, Mr. Joaquin, tried to calm them, blaming the strange noises they had heard in the kitchen on a draught.

But the White Lady wanted to teach Mr. Joaquin a lesson herself. During dinner, just as he was about to sink his teeth into a fine roast, a mysterious force snatched the plate from him, and the same happened to the other guests. Doors and windows began to slam with terrifying noise, and Mr. Joaquin chose to flee into town. The White Lady's ghost continued that war of nerves for several days, until Mr. Joaquin promised he would resume offering sweet porridge to the homeless.

In addition to ensuring the distribution of the porridge, the White Lady also dedicated herself to other chores, making her appearances in the castles of the Rozmberk and other related lineages. If the ghost haunted the hallways of the mansions with white gloves, this predicted a wedding or a baptism; black gloves announced funerals.

The legend of the White Lady has undeniable charm, but the tradition of sweet porridge in Jindrichuv Hradec appears to have far less romantic and noble roots. Everything suggests it was the nobleman Adam who introduced the custom through a clause in his 1529 will. This Czech aristocrat worried that his subjects were giving themselves over to excessive beer consumption, and used the porridge distribution in hopes of steering them away from such excesses.

It was a commendable aim, but in a brewing country it was bound to fail. The descendants of nobleman Adam replaced honey-sweetened porridge with beer soups, which for a long time were a favorite dish among the less fortunate in Bohemia. The Porridge Festival tradition survived in Jindrichuv Hradec until 1782. Diners were served hot beer with a plate of peas and pearl barley.

The Church of Santiago

The Basilica of Saint James, with its three naves, is a splendid monument of the Czech capital, located on the Stupartska Street in Prague's Old Town. It stands out for its exquisite decoration, due to the painters Vaclav Vavrinec Reiner and Petr Brandl, as well as sculptor Ferdinand Maxmilian Brokoff.

Its historic organ is renowned for its magnificent sound. Yet within this monumental church there is a very strange object that has left all who enter it wide-eyed for six centuries: in a side chapel, to the right of the main entrance, hangs an arm. As for its origin, the following explanation can be read in the church itself:

"In the year of grace 1400, during the pontificate of Pope Boniface IX and the reign of Wenceslas IV, the Virgin Mary, Mother of God, held the hand of a thief when he was stealing jewels from his image, devoutly venerated by believers in the temple of Santiago, attached to the convent of the younger brothers from San Francisco. The arm of the unworthy evildoer was cut and to this day it is displayed hanging in the church."

The image of Our Lady of Sorrows in Saint James's, sculpted in the late Gothic style and once placed near the side altar of Saint Erasmus, now stands on the high altar.

Alchemy in Bohemia

The first alchemical theories reached Czechia in the 14th century through visitors from foreign universities, especially Paris and the Italian schools. Although alchemy did not usually appear among official university courses, students could still encounter and study alchemical treatises there.

One of the first Czech alchemists was the Prague archbishop Arnost of Pardubice, who lived from 1297 to 1364. This ecclesiastical dignitary encountered alchemy during his studies in Italian universities, and historical sources say he pursued it with extraordinary zeal. Paradoxically, in 1317 the Pope issued a Bull against alchemists that forced them to practice alchemy as a secret science for a time. The Bull was later interpreted less rigidly, and alchemy could again be practiced publicly.

Other Czech ecclesiastical dignitaries also devoted themselves to alchemy. For example, the Prague archbishop Konrad de Vechta gave himself over so fully to transmutation experiments that even the Council of Constance took notice of this "hobby" of his.

The first alchemical treatises written in Czechia also come from an ecclesiastical figure: the priest John of Tesin. One of his works was a treatise written in Latin verse and titled "How to proceed if we wish to obtain the philosopher's stone."

The oldest treatise written in Czech is titled "The Righteous Path of Master Antonio of Florence." It dates to 1412 and was written, by all indications, by the Czech alchemist Jan of Laz.

An important role in Czech alchemical history was played by the so-called Faust House, in Charles Square, surrounded by dark and eerie legends. The house's aura of mystery has a historical basis: the Dukes of Opava, who owned it from the mid-14th century onward, installed an alchemical laboratory there. From 1590 it belonged to the famous English alchemist and mage Edward Kelley. Another high-born Bohemian alchemist in the 15th century was Henry, the youngest son of King George of Podebrady, who established his laboratory in Kutna Hora in 1480.

As throughout Europe, the practice of alchemy spread widely in Czechia during the 15th and 16th centuries. However, the period of its maximum flowering and splendor in the Czech lands coincides with the reign of Emperor Rudolf II, who ruled from the year 1576 to 1611. At that time, both sages and charlatans came to Prague, attracted by the generosity of the monarch.

At that time, three major centres of alchemical experimentation existed in Bohemia. The first was Prague Castle, though many laboratories were also found in Prague's Mala Strana district, beside the Castle. Two additional centres of alchemical practice lay outside the capital, under prominent Czech aristocrats. William of Rozmberk (1535-1592) installed laboratories mainly in southern Bohemia - Krumlov, Trebon and Prachatice - and another in the north, in Roudnice, where noted alchemists of the era conducted bold experiments.

The second aristocrat passionate about alchemy was Jan Zbynek Zajic of Hazmburk, from whom two manuscripts have been preserved. His laboratory was located in Budyne, north of Prague.

Emperor Rudolph II founded a kind of scientific academy in which alchemy was the principal discipline. This institution was headed by the emperor's personal physician, Tadeas Hajek of Hajek, the most prominent scientific mind of his time in Czechia.

Hajek was a mathematician, astronomer, chemist, botanist and man of culture, as well as an initiate in hermetic sciences. He did not devote himself directly to alchemical experimentation. Instead, by imperial commission, he examined those alchemists who sought to work under the emperor's patronage at court. Though he denounced several fraudulent practices, many impostors still managed to deceive him. According to historian Balbin, about two hundred alchemists worked in succession at Rudolph II's court, and Balbin says one cannot describe how much gold they consumed.

The famous astronomer Tycho de Brahe was also drawn to alchemy. When in 1599 he accepted Emperor Rudolph's invitation to settle in Bohemia, the emperor ordered both an astronomical observatory and an alchemical laboratory installed for him in the Benatky nad Jizerou palace. Tycho de Brahe planned to found an institute in Prague devoted to astronomy and alchemy, but the project was never realized because of the astronomer's premature death.

The most accomplished alchemist in Czech alchemical history was Bavor Rodovsky of Hustisany, who lived from 1526 to 1600. He was among the most singular and learned of Czech alchemists. He came from a noble family of modest means and could not even attend university. Nevertheless, through tenacious personal effort, Bavor Rodovsky gained broad learning, mastered German and Latin, and also delved deeply into alchemical secrets. He devoted himself so intensely to transmutation that in 1573 he was imprisoned for debt in the Black Tower of Prague Castle.

From 1578 onward, Bavor Rodovsky lived in Prague, working as an alchemist in service to Emperor Rudolph II. He left posterity four extensive alchemical treatises written in Czech, now part of the canon of alchemical literature.

Bavor Rodovsky did not discover the recipe for obtaining the philosopher's stone, but unlike many other alchemists, he left us a recipe for preparing the water of life, aqua vitae. The learned alchemist advised:

"If you wish to prepare a good aqua vitae, take good brandy and the following condiments: sage, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper, wormwood, raisins, sugar, anise, juniper and orange peel. Reduce all these ingredients to powder, mix them with honey, and dissolve them in the spirit. If you have no brandy, a good Italian wine is enough. Let it rest for thirty days in a tightly closed vessel, then distill carefully."

Besides his enigmatic science of transmuting lead into gold, the learned alchemist also cultivated culinary art. The year 1591 was the most successful in Bavor Rodovsky's life: alongside an alchemy manual, he published through Jiri Cerny's press his famous "Culinaria, or Book on Various Delicacies."

Dr. Johannes Faust

Who is Faust? In popular tales, Dr. Faust is portrayed as a man who, to satisfy his sinful cravings, makes a pact with the devil, displays his arts as a sorcerer in public, and is finally dragged to hell. Johann Wolfgang Goethe ennobled this character, turning Faust into a symbol of humanity's eternal and insatiable longing to unveil the enigma of life's meaning.

Faust is a Central European figure, associated with both German and Czech worlds. Since the 17th century, tradition has linked Faust to Bohemia. Chronicles claim he was Czech, a native of Kutna Hora. When the Hussite revolution broke out in the 15th century, Faust is said to have emigrated to Germany and, apparently, signed with two names: Kuttenberg, the German name of his hometown, and Faust, the Latin form of his Czech surname Stastny. He stood out in two arts: necromancy and printing.

Subsequent investigations revealed the true origin of the legend. In the 15th century there lived in Germany the alchemist and printer Johannes Fust who collaborated with the inventor of the printing press, Gutenberg. Furthermore, between the years 1485 to 1540 he lived in Germany a certain Dr. Faust. These three historical personalities gave rise, in the popular fantasy, to a legendary being, the doctor Faust.

The oldest popular books about Faust, called faustbuch - the oldest dates back to 1578 -, refer to Faust's stay in Prague and describe two trips by Faust through Europe. During the first, Mephistopheles carried him through the air, transformed into a winged horse; on the second trip, the magician traveled on foot or riding a horse. One of the versions refers to a prolonged stay of Faust in the Prague imperial court.

One night, Faust flew from Prague to Erfurt, in Germany, to take part in a party, and before the dawn returned to the Czech metropolis. Another legend relates that Faust published in Prague for the first time in 1506 his famous necromantic book that he used to communicate with the infernal powers.

The legends about Faust are tied to specific places in the Czech capital. The poet Sebastian Hnevkovsky says that when he arrived in Prague in 1782, market women in the Old City told stories about Faust. Hnevkovsky also mentions three houses where Faust would have resided.

From the 1840s onward, tradition definitively places Faust's residence in a palace in Charles Square, in the New City. According to legend, when the devil took Faust, he left a hole in the roof that no one could seal. A student there found a ducat on his plate each day; wanting more gold, he signed a pact with the devil, who eventually took him just as he had taken Dr. Faust.

All these mysterious and terrifying events were said, according to legend, to have taken place in the palace that still stands today. A former colleague of ours who works in that enigmatic building says that something spectral still hangs in the air there.

In the eighteenth century, the House of Faust belonged to the nobleman Mladota, who used to show his guests an abundant collection of mechanical devices and attempted chemical preparations there. All of that surrounded the palace with mystery, and the people of Prague came to place Faust's stay in the city there.